Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Off Season Meal: Pumpkin Turkey Chili

Pumpkin seems to be something people only like to use in the fall and winter months, so I refer to this as an off-season dish. I'm making it in the summer, because ya know-I'm all rebelllious and stuff...



Well then, really I think that the pumpkin in this chili almost lightens it up and makes it a more refreshing meal for this time of year. PLUS-there is not hot oven and there isn't a ton of standing over the stove to be done while preparing it. It really only takes about 15 -20 minutes to make this one.





Pumpkin Turkey Chili

1 15 oz can pumpkin
1 package ground turkey
1 small onion chopped
1 small green pepper chopped
1 can diced (I use no salt added) tomatoes
black pepper
chili powder
cayenne pepper
1-2 cloves minced garlic
cumin
kosher salt
1 can black beans drained and rinsed

Put a little olive oil in skillet and start cooking onion, green pepper and garlic...add ground turkey and brown. Drain off fat. Add black beans and cook another minute or so. Add pumpkin and tomatoes-stir and add spices as you like (to your own taste) I did not measure my spices-I just seasoned and kept tasting till I liked it. Cook until heated through.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that sounds great. i would have never thought of pairing pumpkin with chili. might have to try that soon since i have a can of pumpkin sitting in the pantry from the winter.

Anonymous said...

This is on my meal plan for the month... can't wait to try it. I hope mine turns out as good as yours looks!

Anonymous said...

This is definitely on my "to try" list.

Anonymous said...

This is the same recipe Carrie made! Yummy!

Anonymous said...

I love this recipe. It's one of my favorites.